Community Service/Volunteer

How do I submit volunteer hours?

Updated November 2016.

As of the 2016-2017 School Year, changes have been made to Florida Statute which impact the acceptance of student volunteer hours towards requirements of the Bright Futures Scholarship.

Students must seek prior approval from their School Counselor in order to have community service hours entered into their student records, and towards their total for Bright Futures Scholarship consideration. 

*Students are encouraged to document community service hours for purposes other than the Bright Futures Scholarship on their personal resumes or portfolios. Community service hours should be reported on applications to colleges and universities and documented on resumes that are submitted on these applications. Only hours submitted on the Bright Futures Volunteer Service Hours packet will be documented on student transcripts.

The process for Bright Futures Community Service Hours are outlined below:

  1. Student obtains Bright Futures Volunteer Service Hours packet from School Counseling office.
  2. Student completes the front/back pages: Volunteer Service Agreement and Volunteer Service Proposal, and submits this front/back paper, with all required signatures and items completed, to their School Counselor.
  3. School Counselor provides a copy of the Volunteer Service Agreement and Volunteer Service Proposal to the student with their signature to indicate that the project meets Bright Futures criteria.
  4. Upon completion of the service project, student submits the Volunteer Service Final Reflection/Presentation form, along with documentation on agency letterhead stating (a) total hours completed, (b) dates of service, and (c) volunteer activities, to their School Counselor.


Bright Futures Volunteer Service Hours Packets may be located in the School Counseling Main Office.

Please see your School Counselor with any questions regarding this information and the policies/procedures outlined above.

Return to Top

Community Service/Volunteer Forms

Dual Enrollment

What are the requirements for Dual Enrollment?

Rising sophomores must have a 3.5 unweighted grade point average, have taken or be taking Algebra 1, and have passed their Algebra 1 End of Course Exam.

Rising juniors must have a 3.5 unweighted grade point average and have passed their Algebra 1 End of Course Exam.

Rising seniors must have a 3.0 unweighted grade point average, have passed their Grade 10 FSA English Language Assessment, and have passed their Algebra 1 End of Course Exam.

All dual-enrolled students must sit for the PERT prior to registering for classes. Please see your School Counselor if you meet the above criteria and would like a PERT referral form.

Return to Top

Financial Aid

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, determines the aid a student is eligible to receive in a postsecondary institution.

Answers to frequently asked questions regarding the FAFSA can be found at the following link:

The FAFSA can be accessed at

Return to Top
When should I complete the FAFSA?
The FAFSA opened on October 1, 2016, for students who are applying to receive aid in the 2017-2018 academic year. Students are encouraged to submit their FAFSA early as funds are limited. They are allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis. Return to Top
What test scores are needed to do Dual Enrollment?
Test   Reading    English    Math                        
ACT 19 17 19/23
PERT 106 103 114/123
SAT 440/24 440/25 440/540 or 24/28.5

Students must obtain minimum scores pertaining to certain courses at FSW. See your counselor for more information.

Return to Top

General Questions

What is your grading scale?

Our grading scale is outlined in the chart below.

Letter Grade    Grade Range    Credit Earned    
A 90-100 Yes
B 80-89 Yes
C 70-79 Yes
D 60-69 Yes
F 0-59 No
Return to Top
What is the CEEB/ACT code for Island Coast High School?
The CEEB/ACT/SAT Code for Island Coast High School is 102111. This number may be required when registering to test for SAT, ACT or other college entrance exams. This number may also be required on college admissions applications, or on the NCAA Eligiblity Center. Return to Top
How do I set up a parent/teacher conference?

Requests for conferences with your student's teachers should be set up through their grade-level counselor. You should contact the counselor via email or calling the school. Conferences with all teachers can be scheduled on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays, after school, from 1:45-2:15 pm. The counselor will schedule the conference at their next available date and will email the calendar invite to all teachers. Parents should plan for their student to attend the conference as well.

Grade Level Counselors

Grade 9 - Rachael DeRosso, [email protected]

Grade 10 - Angela Higginbotham, [email protected]

Grade 11 - Suzan Harden, [email protected]

Grade 12 - Georgia Roberts, [email protected]

Return to Top
How do I see my student's current class grades?
Parents can access student grades via FOCUS. Directions for setting up a FOCUS Parent Portal account can be found here Return to Top


What are the graduation requirements?

Students are required to earn 24 credits in specific subject areas. A formula for graduation is depicted below. Detailed graduation requirements are listed below for each grade level in PDF documents.

In addition to credit requirements, students must maintain a 2.0 in all courses completed for high school credit. Students must also pass the Grade 10 FSA ELA Reading Assessment and the FSA Algebra EOC. 


All students must complete an online course within the 24 required credits in order to earn a standard diploma. More information regarding the online course requirement is outlined in the following document  An online course is a formal education program involving student–teacher interaction in which a student learns mostly through online delivery of content and instruction with some element of student control over time, place, path, or pace. 

Students may meet this requirement by completing an online high school course offered by:

- Florida Virtual School (FLVS)

- A district high school (to include traditional district schools, district franchises, and

virtual charter schools)

- A postsecondary school as an online dual enrollment course

- District virtual instruction programs


Return to Top


What do I do if I need a transcript?
You can pick up an unofficial copy of your records (academic history) at the School Counseling Office. If you need an official transcript, you must complete a Transcript Request Form and turn it into Mrs. Thomas in the School Counseling Office. Be sure to indicate if you will pick up the transcript or if you need it to be sent to a postsecondary institution. You must write the address of the postsecondary institution in order for your request to be processed. If you do not write the address, your request form will be returned to you for correction. The first request for an official transcript is free of charge. Each request after the initial request of an official transcript costs $1.00. You must submit your $1.00 payment along with your Transcript Request Form at the School Counseling Office. Please allow between 24-48 hours for your transcript request to be processed.  Return to Top
What is the difference between an academic history and a transcript?

Academic histories and transcripts provide some similar information.

Academic histories display a high school record of courses taken and credits earned. They also display state assessment (FCAT, FSA, EOC) scores, nationally recognized assessment (ACT, SAT, PERT) scores, total credits earned, grades earned in courses and weighted/unweighted grade point average. Academic histories are an unofficial student record and primarily used by counselors and students to review progress towards graduation and assist in scheduling processes.

Transcripts display credits attempted and earned per school year, total credits earned, state (unweighted) and local (weighted) grade point average, community service hours completed, graduation required assessments that have been passed. Transcripts are an official student record that are primarily used by postsecondary institutions to make admission decisions. 

Return to Top


What is SAT?

The SAT is a globally recognized college admission test that lets you show colleges what you know and how well you can apply that knowledge. It tests your knowledge of reading, writing and math — subjects that are taught every day in high school classrooms. Most students take the SAT during their junior or senior year of high school, and almost all colleges and universities use the SAT to make admission decisions.

Taking the SAT is the first step in finding the right college for you — the place where you can further develop your skills and pursue your passions. But SAT scores are just one of many factors that colleges consider when making their admission decisions. High school grades are also very important. In fact, the combination of high school grades and SAT scores is the best predictor of your academic success in college.

Return to Top
How can I sign up for SAT/ACT?
Students can register for SAT and ACT on their respective websites. Students must create and account and a profile for their account in order to register. Students can also register with a mail-in packet that they can obtain from their school counselor.  Return to Top
How can I get a fee waiver for the SAT or ACT?

Any students needing waivers to register for ACT and SAT should allow 1-2 school days to receive their waivers. Test dates and deadlines are posted on the ICHS School Counseling website as well as and

Students will only receive waivers once they have submitted documentation indicating they meet qualifications outlined by ACT and SAT. The waiver eligibility chart must be returned to the student's grade-level counselor (11th: Ms. Harden; 12th: Ms. Roberts) along with documentation indicating financial need or assistance. A waiver eligibility packet can be found in the School Counseling office. Only 11th and 12th grade students may receive fee waivers for these tests.

If students need waivers to register for the ACT or SAT, and the deadline is during a time when students are not in school, students should request their waiver at least a week in advance of the break. Counselors are not in the building during winter break, spring break, or summer break and are unable to provide students with test fee waivers at those times. 

Return to Top